As it is known, children in our country begin to receive literacy education in primary school years. they are incomplete.
If you prepare your child correctly for literacy education in the preschool period, your child will not have much difficulty in the first days of primary school. We have prepared for you what you need to do to make this period easier. Application from you !!!
Literacy Education in Preschool:
Literacy education consists of 5 sub-steps in the preschool period.
1.Development of word capacity
3.Recognition of letters
4.Understanding books and other articles
Improving Word Capacity:
One of the most important factors for good language development is vocabulary. The more children hear and use these words, the faster their language development. Many studies show that vocabulary plays a major role in school success. Therefore, try to create environments where your children can improve their vocabulary. What can these environments be?
● Various conversations: Talk to your child, listen to him / her, ask what he thinks about different topics. Prepare environments where he can talk to both adults and peers.
● Play songs, poems, rhymes finger ouns and various movement games.
● Whenever you think you've heard a new word, ask him if he understands it. If he says he understands, ask him what he has understood (if he misunderstood, please do not warn him harshly, instead make moderate explanations and encourage him to learn), if he does not, try to tell him by making simple sentences.
● Read him aloud and tell him about words he doesn't know.
Phonological awareness can be defined as the hearing and comprehension of voices in speech language.
● Teach songs, poems, and rhymes with similar sounds and let the child notice them.
● Find words that start with the same syllables or sounds and draw children's attention to these sounds and syllables.
● In songs where the same sounds are repeated, find movements that match those sounds (such as clapping hands).
● You can make up words that do not make sense but rhyme and play word matching games with your child.
Recognition of Letters:
Recognition of letters is not meant to teach children how to read the letters, but what these letters want to tell us. Letters are symbols that help translate existing voices into written language. In many years, many children can write their own name and surname. What can you do to recognize the letters?
● Create various kelimer using magnetic letters (you can write his name on the fridge)
● You can get various letter patterns to encourage you to type letters.
Understanding books and other articles:
Children's understanding of events in a book or any article read is an important element for literacy education. You can improve your child's understanding capacity by reading different books (written in different ways). Say it is; teach that there are different characters in each story; make sure that there is a certain place where each story takes place and that the events in the story take place in a certain order.
● Be careful not to read too quickly while reading a book, because if you read too quickly, your child's interest will decrease.
If your child is able to understand what is spoken and read, he / she has a good comprehension ability.
● Tell him stories and stop anywhere in the story and get his opinion for the rest (what do you think our hero should do next?).
Contact Idil directly
Compiled from The Creative Curriculum and The Life -Span Development.