We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Etiler Memorial Medical Center Obstetrics and Gynecology Department Op. Dr. Hande Akbaş, gebelik Multiple pregnancies bilgi gave information about.
The incidence of multiple pregnancies is 3/1000. However, multiple pregnancies are increasing. Two factors are effective in this. The age of becoming a mother is gradually shifting to over 30 and multiple pregnancies are more common than the age of 30. In addition, reproductive assisted techniques and drugs used increase the likelihood of multiple pregnancy.
Today, multiple pregnancies can be diagnosed early by ultrasound. In addition, the uterus is larger than normal, more than one fetal heartbeat is the findings suggestive of multiple pregnancy.
Whether pregnancy is a single or twin twin can only be detected by ultrasound
Twins are usually seen as single or double twins. A single twins usually occurs when the fertilized egg is separated into two fetuses. Both babies have similar genetic characteristics. Babies are identical to each other and have the same gender. In the formation of a twin egg, the most common is the fertilization of two eggs by two different sperm. In this case, both babies can be girls, both boys or one girl and one boy. Genetically, there is no more similarity than the other siblings.
Multiple pregnancies should be followed more strictly
Side effects in multiple pregnancies can sometimes be unpleasant for the mother. In particular, nausea, vomiting, tendency to sleep, burning in the stomach and fatigue symptoms can cause trouble. Abdominal pain and difficulty in breathing may occur more frequently because your growing babies need more space.
Since the number of babies that need to be fed is more than one, the expectant mother should also pay more attention to nutrition and weight gain. Twin pregnancies should usually be recommended diets of 2700 to 2800 calories per day. Twin pregnancies average 15 kg during pregnancy. should gain weight.
Since anemia is more common in multiple pregnancies, elementary iron supplementation of 60-100 mg per day will be appropriate. It may also be useful to restrict some physical activities (such as travel, excessive exercise).
Possible problems in multiple pregnancies:
Carrying more than one baby increases the risk of some problems related to pregnancy. As the number of babies carried increases, the risk of complications increases during pregnancy. Among these problems;
- Early birth: It means that the uterus contractions are seen before the 37th week of pregnancy which causes the opening of the cervix. It is more common in multiple pregnancies. 60% of twin pregnancies and 80% of triplets are born before 37th gestational week. The average gestational age for twins is 37 weeks, for triplets it is 35 weeks, sometimes even earlier.
Premature babies are more likely to be on a low birth weight scale and have some health problems. Therefore, you should be aware of the threat of premature birth and visit your doctor more often.
- Preeclampsia: Increased blood pressure caused by pregnancy is more common in multiple pregnancies. Preeclampsia symptoms include sudden weight gain, headache, abdominal pain, visual disturbances, swelling of hands and feet, and high blood pressure. If you have such complaints, you should consult your doctor immediately.
- Increased risk of cesarean section: In multiple pregnancies, the choice of delivery is usually caesarean section, but about half of twin pregnancies can give birth in the normal way. However, if there are more than two babies, the only delivery method will be cesarean section.
- Twin to twin transfusion syndrome: This occurs only in identical twins. It is a serious condition observed when there is a vascular passage between the placenta (spouse) of infants. It results in one baby receiving more blood and less blood flow in one baby. The infant with excessive blood flow may be overloaded and the infant with less blood flow may develop growth retardation and anemia. This puts both babies in serious danger. Sometimes it may be necessary to have an early birth.
- Vanishing twin syndrome: Occasionally, twin pregnancy is seen on early ultrasound, but one of the twins may not be seen on subsequent ultrasound examinations. This is called ikiz disappearing twin syndrome.. The reason is not fully explained. As a mother-to-be, you should not upset yourself when this happens, unfortunately this is not something you have caused or prevented.
- Conjoined twins: It is a result of insufficient division of twins. In the past, these babies were called “siamese twins”. This is a very rare event (about one in 100,000 births). The point of attachment may be the head, chest or pelvis. In some cases, twins may also share one or more organs. Sometimes it may be possible to separate surgically conjoined twins. The most important factor in the success of the operation depends on the adhesion point of the twins and how many internal organs are shared.