Your child has a problem of not eating and you are worried about it. Believe me, you're not alone, there are thousands of parents in the world who have the same anxiety. What should you do to solve this problem? Should you force your child to eat or give the child the opportunity to decide for himself / herself?
When talking to parents, many say that they are forcing their young children to eat, especially because they are too young to think that they cannot decide on their own meal times and fear that their children will become fatigued. It is not possible to understand this situation, but this behavior includes many mistakes although it is made with good thinking.
If you encounter such a problem with your child, we recommend that you first contact a specialist. Because this is the most reliable way to make sure that the problem is due to physiological reasons. If you have already consulted a doctor and your child does not have any physiological problems, you can start by looking for the problem yourself, not your child. Here are some suggestions for what you can do about it…
What can you do?
• Take care to create a family eating order. If you accustom your child to certain meal times, he will be more regular to eat and will not show no eating behavior because he will be hungry at meal times.
Note: A point emphasized by experts; Many children who do not eat in the family environment do not show this behavior in the school environment. The main reason for this is that children have the chance to eat at school hours and therefore they are hungry during meal times, which reduces their chances of not eating.
• Do not force your child to eat. Wait for him to get hungry. No child dies of starvation. Give your child opportunities to understand his own sense of hunger.
• Take care to eat at the same time as your child. The time shared on the table is quite important for the child. Help your child to enjoy that moment by talking to your child at the table. Thus, eating will become a satisfying and fun activity for him.
• Allow your child to eat as he wishes. Do not force them to certain molds, especially at a young age. Remember, you will find the truth with different experiences!
• Serve your child in different shapes while putting them on the plate. For example, you can create a face shape from vegetables when preparing a salad plate. You can use lettuce in the form of hair, cucumbers eye, carrot nose. Using your creativity, you can make different designs and encourage your child to eat.
• Prevent your child from eating snacks between meals. Avoid this kind of food.
• Some experts recommend stopping liquid food consumption 1 hour before eating. Because liquid foods create short-term satiety and bloating, they say that they prevent children from eating.
Contact Idil directly