Healthy and young mothers want to add exercise to the pregnancy process in order to spend their pregnancy more healthy. However, expectant mothers should be checked by a gynecologist and obstetrician to determine whether there is a health problem that may prevent exercise before starting exercise during pregnancy. Prof. Dr. Semih Akı from the Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Department of Anadolu Medical Center and Dr. Leaf Iron It provides information about the exercises that can be done during pregnancy and can help birth.
Exercises during pregnancy
Breathing exercises and relaxation techniques
It helps the mother to remain calm, especially when the birth process begins, and to help her and her baby complete the process without stress. In the first period when labor pains begin to come, the mother stores the energy of the mother to the active birth process with relaxation techniques. In the first period, the mother feels less pain with respiratory techniques.
Learning these exercises during pregnancy will help to have a more comfortable birth.
Urinary bladder, uterus and muscle group that supports the last part of the large intestine exercises are running. If this muscle group, which we call pelvic floor muscles, is not strong enough, there may be urine leakages that may occur after coughing and sometimes during pregnancy. Kegel exercises are exercises that can be performed anywhere after sensing the pelvic floor muscles.
Exercise increases oxygen and blood flow from other parts of the body to the working muscle group. Therefore, uncontrolled and excessive exercise during pregnancy should be avoided. Again, when the exercise program is organized, it should be taken into consideration whether the pregnant woman has performed active exercise before.
Exercise is definitely disadvantageous for those at risk of preterm labor, those with vaginal bleeding and those with premature rupture of membranes. Pregnant women with medical problems such as hypertension should seek medical advice before starting exercise.
- Walking is ideal for starting exercise. Especially those who do not exercise before pregnancy, exercise should start with a walk.
- Swimming is ideal because it works all the muscles of the body. Since water supports the body, there is no risk of injury or fall.
- Bike can be preferred because it increases durability. However, after a while, the growing abdomen will force the expectant mother. Horizontal exercise bikes should therefore be preferred because they also support the waist.
- Aerobic exercises keep the heart and lungs intact. Low-intensity and in-water aerobic programs may also be suitable for pregnant women.
What are the benefits of correct exercise?
- Minimizes problems of low back pain, constipation, swelling of legs (by increasing lymphatic and venous circulation) during pregnancy,
- Protects or treats diabetes (gestational diabetes) that may develop during pregnancy,
- Improves the posture of the pregnant,
- Morally prepares the mother for pregnancy, reduces the fear of birth,
- Reduces tension,
- Increases muscle strength, elasticity and endurance.
- Increases energy,
- Reduces the risk of falling by maintaining balance
With the progress of pregnancy, exercise in certain positions may be inconvenient for the mother and her baby. Pregnant women should avoid jumping, jumping and sudden changes during exercise, which can cause injury to the joints and muscles of the expectant mother.
Excessive sweating and warming during exercise can lead to fluid loss, which is undesirable for you and your baby.
Considerations for safe and healthy exercise;
- Exercises performed on the back after the first period of pregnancy (first trimester) should be avoided
- Do not exercise in hot and humid weather while hot.
- Workout should be done with sports clothes suitable for air absorbing sweat to keep cool,
- A bra must be used to protect and support the breasts,
- Water should be drunk to prevent overheating and liquid loss,
- The expectant mother should ensure that she receives the extra daily calories to be taken during pregnancy.
What are the situations where the doctor should be called after the exercise is stopped?
- Vaginal bleeding,
- Respiratory distress,
- Chest pain,
- Muscle weakness,
- Leg swelling and pain,
- Uterine contractions,
- Reduction in the baby's movements,
- Fluid coming from the vagina