With the arrival of spring, it is hard for children with pollen allergies, especially children. American Hospital Department of Chest Diseases Elif Altuğ Kolsuk said, “Pollen is a flower dust that we often see when flying in the air. For the reproduction of plants, pollen carrying genetic information is required to be transported to other plants by wind or insects. Erek
Allergically important pollen group is 20-60 microns in size and can be transported at very long distances. These pollens are divided into smaller particles by weather changes and make it easier to disperse, causing allergic people to sneeze, cough, or itchy symptoms.
Not all pollen causes allergies. The size of pollen, the amount of pollen in the inhaled air and the residence time of the pollen determine the allergen structure. Although there are regional differences in our country, the months with the most pollen in the atmosphere are April and June. Meadow pollen is often effective in these months. Target organs are the nose and lungs. In September and October, weed pollens spread to the atmosphere.
If the affected nose is çıkar allergic catarrh ”, the lung“ allergic asthma ortaya discomfort occurs. According to new approaches, we consider the nose and lung as a single airway. Because more than 80 percent of patients with asthma suffer from allergic flu. 20-40 percent of those with allergic fever have asthma.
Allergic rhinitis, runny nose, sneezing, nasal itching and congestion; asthma, on the other hand, shows symptoms such as recurrent cough, wheezing, shortness of breath and attacks, whistling from the chest, running, crying and laughing or arousing cough at night. Full protection from pollen is not possible as they circulate in the air we breathe outdoors. The amount of pollen in the atmosphere is very high in hot, dry and windy weather. On rainy days, as the pollens land with water, their amount in the air decreases immediately and allergic people relax.
Ways of protection from pollens:
• Which pollens develop allergies
• The media should have daily weather reports appropriate to the pollen season and these should be followed
• Move away from plants known to be allergic to pollen as much as possible
• Close doors and windows of the house tightly
• Use pollen filters at home and in the car
• If the pollen level in the house is too high, use an air purifier
• Do not take children out when the pollens are intense in the atmosphere.
• Use masks that protect the mouth and nose outdoors
• Pollen time is more wooded, grassy places, prefer the sea side
• Wear sunglasses to your kids outside and wash your face immediately when you get home
• Wear a hat and wash your hair at bedtime because clogged pollen can cause drowsiness.
• Take off outdoor clothing as soon as you come home
The main treatment of asthma and allergic flu related to pollen allergy is drug therapy. For this, both the pollen season preventive emergence of complaints and preventive remedies are used to eliminate the complaints.
It is often sufficient to receive treatment during the pollen period.
Pollen vaccination against pollen allergy-induced asthma and allergic flu can also be administered as a treatment method. Vaccine should be considered only in patients who cannot be controlled despite appropriate medication, and allergy specialists should decide if it can be used.
Since children with allergic fever are at risk of developing asthma, families need to be sensitive and cautious to children's complaints. The risk of developing asthma can also be reduced if allergic rhinitis is treated appropriately.