Cigarette consumption, which is a global problem, and related diseases are among the important health problems in the world. 50-70% of women with cigarette addiction continue to smoke during pregnancy. This is an indication that smoking is a serious public health problem during pregnancy. Kadıköy Şifa Health Group Gynecology and Obstetrics Specialist Op. Dr. Yasemin Yakut compiled the 10 most important damages to the baby from smoking during pregnancy.
Consumption of cigarettes during pregnancy causes extremely negative effects on the baby and pregnancy. The bitumen, nicotine, carbon monoxide and many other toxic substances contained in the cigarette pass into the upper airways, bronchi and blood, thereby damaging the respiratory system, the heart and vessels, and all organ systems of the body.
During pregnancy, the mother's baby blood is shopping through the umbilical cord. All toxic substances that the mother buys with cigarettes pass directly to the baby during this shopping.
NICOTINE is a strong vasoconstrictor agent. Reduces blood flow to the uterus. CARBON MONOXIDE can damage cells and cause growth retardation, and also reduce the ability of blood to carry oxygen. When the oxygen in the mother's blood decreases, the amount of oxygen to the baby and other nutrients will decrease.
If we summarize these negative effects of smoking on the baby in 10 titles:
1. It causes preterm labor. Timely gestational week is considered as 38 - 40 weeks. It causes birth to occur much earlier than 38 weeks.
2. Premature rupture of membranes: The opening of the water sac, which should be opened during labor well before the required time, causes the baby to enter the delivery path before completing its development.
3. Intrauterine growth retardation: Smoking causes a decrease in oxygen and nutrients in the blood leading to the infant, causing the development of the baby to lag behind in the womb.
4. Intrauerin exitus: sudden death of the baby in the womb of the mother.
5. Preaklampsia: Increased blood pressure, protein in the urine, excessive edema in the body, blurred vision with pregnancy poisoning is the picture. There is a risk to mother and baby life.
6. Hypertension: Nicotine is an astringent, narrowing effect of the increase in blood pressure in pregnant women. In this case, it will have a negative effect on the baby's nutrition.
7. Detachment Placenta: Early separation of placenta. Normally, the placenta is separated after the birth of the baby during labor. The detachment of the placenta is the untimely separation of the placenta while the baby is in the womb of the mother and the presence of dangerous bleeding.
8. Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Postnatal baby's respiratory distress. In premature babies, which we call premature, respiratory distress which may be fatal as a result of lung development is observed more frequently in smoking pregnancies.
9. Decrease in the amount of milk: It causes a decrease in the amount of milk during the maternity period.
10. It also plays a role in reducing the nutritional effect of milk at the level of vitamin C during the postpartum period.